Someone asked me what would be my recommend reading on business strategy. Here’s my top 5:
- “Good Strategy, Bad Strategy” – creates a unified understanding of what strategy is and how to compete on strategy; it gives you a framework for formulating a good strategy. The book has weird asides, but most of it great.
- “Blue Ocean Strategy” (and the sequel) – really boring academic writing, but it’s important to understand the key idea.
- “The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing” – a classic with so much wisdom packed in it. Outdated examples, but oh so relevant content. Stuff I think about a lot.
- “7 Powers: The Foundations of Business Strategy” – This is about moats. A lot of it written for bigger businesses but gives you good mental models regardless of your position. (Terrible to follow along in the audiobook, need the paper version for this).
- “The 4 Disciplines of Execution” – you have a strategy, here’s how to execute on it across teams.